Experienced Across All Aspects of Tennessee Family Law
Helping you secure a better future for you and your loved ones
Family law issues are often complicated and involve intense emotions, particularly if you’re going through a divorce or child custody battle. During these times, it’s important to work with a skilled attorney who fights for your best interests and helps you obtain a fair outcome. The Murfreesboro family lawyers at McCarter, Catron & East, PLLC have years of experience navigating these tough issues. We can provide you with personal attention and fight diligently for you in and out of the courtroom. You can trust in the knowledge and compassion we bring to your family law case.
Common issues related to family law in Tennessee
Family law deals with a wide range of issues, from divorce and separation to domestic relations and prenuptial agreements. The following are the most common legal matters individuals in the Murfreesboro area may need to address by working with a family law attorney:
- Divorce. If your marriage is no longer working and you wish to seek a divorce, an attorney can guide you through the process. While some divorces require litigation to resolve, most can be settled through alternative means like arbitration or mediation. This is usually much preferred, as it allows you and your former partner to work through important issues collaboratively.
- Child custody and visitation. There are two main types of child custody: legal and physical. Although in the past courts were likely to grant primary custody to one parent over the other, in recent years the trend has been to allow both parents as much access to children as possible.
- Child support. If one parent has primary physical custody, the other parent may need to provide regular child support payments to help cover the costs of raising children.
- Division of property. Couples tend to accumulate a great deal of marital assets and property over the course of a marriage, including homes, cars, stocks and jewelry. During a divorce or separation, you and your partner or the court will need to make important decisions regarding who assumes ownership of which pieces of marital property.
- Spousal support. In some situations, one former spouse may need to pay the other regularly in the form of spousal support, also known as alimony. Usually temporary, it is meant to give the individual receiving the payments the opportunity to obtain the education or training needed to become financially self-sufficient.
- Marital agreements. Although some people think negatively of premarital and prenuptial agreements, setting up these documents can actually create a sense of mutual understanding and trust between partners. In fact, many couples find this process to be an informative and positive experience.
- Domestic relations. Our Murfreesboro lawyers help with domestic violence and similar issues, particularly as they relate to a divorce or separation. The prevalence of these issues can have a major impact on family law disputes.
Meet with a respected family law attorney today
To set up a free initial consultation with the law firm of McCarter, Catron & East, PLLC, call us today at 615-278-9016 or contact us online. From our office in Murfreesboro, we serve individuals and families across Rutherford County and the rest of central Tennessee.